The powerful overtime features of Virtual TimeClock can be easily setup to meet the overtime needs of most businesses. Custom overtime rules can be configured for up to two different pay rates for daily or weekly hours. See our overview of overtime with Virtual TimeClock Knowledge Base article for more general information about overtime.
This article will cover how to create or modify an overtime rule. If you have already configured your overtime rules then you need to follow the steps to assign an overtime rule to users.
How to Create or Modify an Overtime Rule
Virtual TimeClock Basic Edition allows only one overtime rule and it is assigned to all time clock users. The Pro and Network editions allow you to create any number of overtime rules for your employees.
To add or modify an overtime rule:
- Select Turn Administration On from the File menu.
- Select Overtime from the Configure menu.
- Add or modify a rule in the Configure Overtime window as follows:
Pro & Network Edition
- To modify a rule, select the rule name in the left column and select Modify Rule.
- To create a new rule, select the Add button in the bottom left corner.
- Enter/Modify the appropriate overtime rates (1.5 for time and a half, 2.0 for double, etc.).
- To add a weekly threshold of hours, check the Weekly box and enter the number of hours worked before the overtime rate applies.
- To add a daily threshold of hours, check the box for each day of the week the rule applies to and enter the number of hours worked before the overtime rate applies.
- If your overtime rule includes 6th and/or 7th consecutive days worked, click to check the appropriate boxes and choose from the popup menu when hours will be included as overtime.
- Select Save when you are satisfied with the configuration of your overtime rule.
Virtual TimeClock Pro and Network edition users can repeat steps 3-8 to make add additional overtime rules.
Once your overtime rules are configured, you must assign a rule to each employee that earns overtime. See assigning overtime rules to users
article for this next step.
Note: The Virtual TimeClock Basic Edition only support one overtime rule that it is assigned to all users.