Carryover hours represent the unused awarded leave hours of the previous benefit year. Depending on your organization's policies, you may need to carryover unused leave hours into an employee's new benefit year. Before carrying over unused leave hours, ensure that you have configured leave categories and leave awards. Virtual TimeClock does not automatically carry over hours, you will need to manually input them. Here’s how:
- While in administration mode click the Reports program menu and choose Accrued and Used Leave.
- Click the People & Dates icon to choose the users and end accrual date for the report date. Whatever you choose to set as the anniversary (Accrual End) date, we recommend setting a calendar reminder each year to remind you to carryover the hours.
- Accrue Leave by Calendar Year: If your organization handles anniversary dates of leave by calendar year, change the Accrual End Date of the report in the People & Dates window. For example, if your benefit year begins January 1, then change the date to December 31.
- Accrued Leave Based on Start Date or End of Probationary Period: Find a user's anniversary date by looking in the Accrual Period column on the left and make a note of the start date. Click the People & Dates icon. Click None to uncheck all users then click to check the box for the user or users you want to view the report for. Change the Accrual End Date to one day before the start of the user's new benefit year.
- The Balance column should reflect any carryover from the previous benefit year, plus accrued hours for the current benefit year, minus the used hours for the current benefit year for each leave category. Make a note of the balance.
- If the balance is in parenthesis in the far right column it means more leave hours were used than allotted.
- Click on the Leave Awards icon, located in the Report Preview’s toolbar. Enter the new carryover hours (Balance) in the Carryover Hours section for each leave category.
- Update any accrual rates based on your business rules. For example, employees with 5 years of service receive an extra week of paid vacation.
- Carryover Overused Hours: You can carryover overused leave hours into the new benefit year to be taken out of future accrued hours. To carryover these overused leave hours to the new benefit year, start by opening the Leave Awards window and clicking the user's name. Enter the overused hours in the carryover hours box and add a - (minus) sign before the number of hours. For example, -10. You can view the overused carryover hours on the Accrued and Used Leave report in the Carryover column. The negative hours will appear in parenthesis and will be subtracted from Accrued Hours to give you the balance.
Note: Carrying over unused leave hours can take place on or after the anniversary date to review and carryover hours from the previous benefit year. You can view accrual hours for any past period by changing the end date in the People & Dates window.