Tracking Seasonal Worker's Hours with Virtual TimeClock
Add or Reactivate Seasonal Employees
You can add employees that are working for you for the first time or you can reactivate an employee who is returning to your company.
- Select Turn Administration On from the File menu and select Users from the Configure menu.
- Add a First Time User: All that is needed for a new user is their first and last name. You may need to assign a password depending on the group interface settings that the user will clock in on. Select Add in the bottom left corner to enter user information.
- Reactivate an Employee: If an employee is returning to your company and you made them inactive make them an active user again. Find and select a user in the left column and change their status to User, Manager, or Administrator. Before changing their status we recommend making a note of their final day and entering it in the Notes tab. You can also enter their hire date in the Notes tab for your records.
- Both new and reactivated users need to be assigned to a display group. You can add seasonal workers to an existing display group or create a new one with unique activities, shifts, or other group settings that only apply to seasonal workers. Select Add in the Display Group Member section and decide which group(s) to assign the user to.
- Select Apply to save changes.
Review Laws for Temporary Employees
In recent years many cities and states have passed their own laws and ordinances for overtime, sick leave, and lunch rules that apply to seasonal employees. We recommend you review the laws and learn how you can stay compliant using Virtual TimeClock. Review our helpful resources to stay up to date:
- United States Overtime Laws >
- Tracking Overtime with Virtual TimeClock >
- Lunch and Rest Break Laws >
- Tracking Sick Leave Using Virtual TimeClock >
- Tracking Vacation and Other Leave Categories with Virtual TimeClock >
If seasonal employees are new to Virtual TimeClock or need a refresher from last season, train and show your employees how to use the time clock. For example, make sure employees know which computer they can clock in on, their unique password, how to clock in or out, and how to view and approve their timecard.
Deactivate Seasonal Employees
When the season is over inactivate your employees instead of deleting them in Virtual TimeClock. Inactivate your employees, so you can view their timecard records at any time. Deleting a user is not recommend because it permanently deletes their timecard and employment information in the time clock. Review our Knowledge Base article to see learn how to inactivate an employee.
Review Seasonal Employee Reports
Timecards for temporary users can easily be ran so you can view their hours worked when they are currently employed or long after the season is over. Having records is important, but even more important is being able to access them.
- Active Seasonal Employees: View timecards and reports as you would for any other user by choosing a report from the Reports program menu and selecting the user from the People & Dates icon view their timecard entries.
- Inactive Employees: When your seasonal employees are made inactive on the other hand, review the Timecards and Reports section of our Knowledge Base article about running a report for inactive users of Virtual TimeClock.