In recent years many cities and states have passed laws entitling employees to paid sick leave hours. This includes temporary and part-time employees. States with sick leave laws currently in effect include Arizona, California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Oregon, and Vermont. There are over 20 cities with similar sick leave ordinances including New York City, Seattle, and Los Angeles.
Virtual TimeClock supports two ways that sick leave hours can be awarded to employees: Accrual, and Lump Sum:
Employees earn a specified amount of paid sick leave for a certain amount of hours worked. For example, in California employees can earn one hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked. With this method, employees are only entitled to the sick leave hours they have accrued based on the number of hours they have worked.
Employers can award their employees all their sick leave hours for the entire benefit year at once. If the sick leave hours are awarded using this method, then employees can use the hours at any time. For instance, in California employers using the lump sum method are required to award 3 days or 24 hours of paid sick leave annually.
We have a number of Knowledge Base articles that will help you setup and use the various leave tracking functions and features in Virtual TimeClock. Our overview of leave tracking is a great place to start if this is new to you. The specific process to setup and track sick leave in Virtual TimeClock is as follows:
- Set up a sick leave category. You can how to set up a leave category here.
- Assign sick leave awards to users individually. See assigning leave awards to users for details.
D. Select Sick Leave from the Category popup menu and configure the award:
- Set the Award Frequency to Based on Hours Worked.
- Enter the award in the Hours Awarded box.
- Enter the number of hours employees will work to earn the award in the For Hours Worked box.
- Set the Award Frequency to Yearly Allotment.
- In the Hours Per Year box enter the hours total number of hours for the entire benefit year.
F. Repeat for each employee that will be awarded Sick Leave.
Entering Sick Leave Hours
In a few simple steps you can enter sick leave hours for your employees. Follow these instructions to add a sick leave entry in Virtual TimeClock.
Reporting Sick Leave Hours
Virtual TimeClock has built in reports that display accrued and used leave hours listed by employees. The Accrued and Used Leave Report may be run any time during the benefit year. Click to learn more about reporting sick leave hours in Virtual TimeClock.
Users can view their accrued and used sick leave hours:
- Open the User Status window for a user by entering a pin/passcode or selecting the users name on the In & Out Board and selecting Open User Status.
- Select the Hamburger menu in the top left corner and choose Accrued and Used Leave from the Other Reports popup menu.
Administrators and managers can review worker accrued and used sick leave hours:
- Select Turn Administration On from the File menu.
- Select Accrued and Used Leave from the Reports menu.