Limiting Total Employee Hours Worked
Virtual TimeClock 16 adds a powerful new shift rule that allows you to limit the maximum hours an employee may work per week, pay period, or month. Configuring this rule will prevent a worker from clocking in if their shift will exceed the preset maximum for the period. This new feature can help control overtime costs, maintain part time classification of workers, and ensure compliance with state and federal labor laws such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Control Overtime Costs
Overtime costs can add up quickly and catch employers by surprise when workers are allowed to swap shifts and change their assigned work schedules. An employee may agree to work a shift without realizing that doing so would exceed their maximum allowed hours to work in a period. Creating a shift rule at clock in ensures that management will be involved before such an overtime event has occurred.
Part Time Workers
Full time and part time employee classifications are often associated with distinct employer obligations regarding compensation and benefits. Setting a limit on hours worked in a period allows employers to ensure that these classifications are properly maintained.
ACA requirements and changes to FLSA require increasing attention to compliance regarding employee hours worked. Clock In shift rules limiting maximum hours worked can help ensure compliance and prevent unexpected labor costs and obligations for employers.
Setting Up The Clock In Rule
Here's how to use Clock In rules to limit the maximum employee hours worked in Virtual TimeClock 16:
- Select Turn Administration On... from the File menu to enter administrative mode
- Select Shifts... from the Configure menu
- Select an existing shift, or click the Add button in the bottom left corner of the window and choose New Shift...
- Set the shift's start time, stop time, and lunch duration (these are used to calculate the projected shift's hours)
- Click Clock In Rules on the right side of the window
- Click the checkbox next to "Prevent start if shift will exceed..."
- Enter the maximum hours and period length.
- Click Apply.
- Setting shift rules is optional. Leave other shift rules disabled if you are only concerned about implementing this one rule.
- Apply shift rules to user schedules in the Configure Schedules area or to groups of users in the Display Groups area.