We occasionally receive calls from customers asking how to handle unpaid lunches for employees that come into the office in the morning, clock in, and then leave the office for the day. The employees don’t clock out for lunch or use the time clock again until they return at the end of the day to clock out. Perhaps you have the opposite problem. Your employees arrive for work but their physical location or daily duties don’t allow them to get to the time clock when they start work and so you want to add a standard block of time for the employees each day. For example, they may need to put on special gear or safety equipment before they can make it to the time clock to punch in for their shift, but you still need to pay them for that time.
Both scenarios can be solved using the Automatic Time Additions & Deductions feature in Virtual TimeClock. Additions will be added to the hours worked in the "Regular" hours column and deductions will show in the "Unpaid" hours column on employee timecards.
Creating a new rule:
- Select Turn Administration On from the File menu.
- Choose Auto Time Additions & Deductions from the Configure menu.
- Click the New button at the bottom of the rule list and enter a new rule name.
- In the Type pop-up menu, select Addition or Deduction.
- Enter the number of Minutes to add/subtract from the timecard and the number of Hours Worked before the rule is applied.
- In the Assigned Users section, click Edit and select the users for whom you want this rule to apply and click Save Changes.
Note: Rules will apply to "continuous" hours on the clock. Clocking out, taking an unpaid break or starting an unpaid activity before an employee reaches the specified Hours worked will prevent the auto time rule from applying.