This article will help you quickly move the Virtual TimeClock Network Edition Server software to a new computer.
1. Locate your Virtual TimeClock Network license Your original license key and instructions are necessary to download the correct version and register your software on a new computer. If you need your license resent to you please contact us.
3. Backup your data on the old computer
Launch Virtual TimeClock, select Turn Administration On from the File menu, select the Backup icon in the toolbar (shown below) and then select the Backup Now button at the bottom of the window. Save the backup to a USB or network hard drive accessible to your new computer.
4. Remove the program from your old computer
a. Uninstall the Virtual TimeClock Server from the old computer.
In the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager select Remove Service from the File menu.
In the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager select Remove Daemon from the File menu.
b. Quit the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager.
c. Uninstall Virtual TimeClock Server Manager.
Right click the Start menu and select Control Panel. Go to Programs and Features. Virtual TimeClock → Virtual TimeClock Server → Uninstall → Uninstall Virtual TimeClock Server.
Drag the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager application from your Applications folder to the Trash. Empty the Trash.
5. Install the program on the new computer
c. Download and run the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager installer. Virtual TimeClock will launch automatically at the conclusion of the installation and present you with the New Company Data File window (shown below). Select Cancel to exit out of this window.
d. Select the Status tab in the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager. All functions should now have a green check with the exception of Database. (see below for example)
6. Register the program on your new computerRegister Virtual TimeClock Server on the new computer. Select on the Licenses tab in the Server Manager and select Enter Keys. Enter your license information (from either step 1 or 2). Please note: Virtual TimeClock will run in evaluation mode until a valid program license key is entered.
7. Restore your data backup on the new computer
a. Select Restore Database in the File menu of the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager
b. Select Continue when prompted to take the TimeClock Server offline. Note: Mac users will then be prompted to enter their computer admin account password to allow changes.
c. Navigate to the location of your backup file created in step 3, select it, and select Open. Note: Mac users will then be prompted to enter their computer admin account password to allow changes.
d. Select the Status tab. You should now see all green checkmarks.
8. Reset your backup schedule on the new computer
With the database successfully restored, you need to reset the backup schedule and location the backup file will be saved to on the new computer. Turn administration on from the File menu and choose Backup Schedule from the Configure menu. Set the frequency and click Select to choose the location. Select Apply to save the changes.
Don't forget, you will need to once again set the new TimeClock server computer to a Static IP address and add exceptions to your firewall. If you do not do this then your Virtual TimeClock Network may not function properly. For help with this see our Network Edition Installation Guide.