This article will help you understand how to approve employee hours for payroll in Virtual TimeClock Pro and Network editions. There are 5 steps to the process: employees review and approve their hours, manager review and approval of employee timecards, sign off on timecards, printing or exporting employee hours for payroll, and closing the pay period.
1. Employee Timecard Review (Optional)
If you want employees to approve their timecard hours before payroll is processed, there are two options:
2. Manager Timecard Review (Optional)
- Print and sign - Employees can manually print and sign their timecards. Find out how you can customize the timecard signature line by reviewing the Timecard Signature Options article.
- Electronic timecard approval - Once configured, employees can approve hours digitally right from the timecard report. Learn more about Electronic Timecard Approval.
Once employees have approved their hours, you can have managers review and approve employee hours. Follow the links in the step above for details on how managers can approve hours by either signing printed employee timecards or utilizing the electronic timecard approval system.
3. Sign Off Timecards
This step is completed by a time clock administrator, or a manager who has been given access to payroll approval. Follow these steps to sign off on timecards:
- Select Turn Administration On from the File menu.
- If you have more than one display group, choose Active Users from the display group pop up menu. This will ensure that hours from all employees in all groups are included in payroll approval.
- Select Approval from the administrator toolbar to open the timecard approval dashboard.
- Review employee hours for accuracy.
Note: To edit a timecard, select an employee, choose View Timecard and use the Entry Editor option to modify a punch.
4. Print Payroll Hours Report
- After reviewing timecards, click Sign off All to approve hours.
or Create Payroll Integration (Optional)
Once you have signed off on hours, you can use the Report
button to print a payroll report or, if you have previously setup payroll integration, choose Export
to format and save employee hours to an integration file. For more information, review the Payroll Integration
5. Close Your Payroll Period
The final step in the payroll approval process is closing the pay period. Closing the period means that the hours and pay data for the current period are written to the database as a permanent record.
Note: After you close the payroll period, Virtual TimeClock will automatically advance the reporting dates to your next pay cycle.
To close the period, click the Close Period
button at the bottom of the Payroll Approval
If you’ve neglected closing periods, it’s easy to close multiple periods all at once. Simply update your payroll settings to reflect your current payroll period and Virtual TimeClock will automatically total and close every period up to the new period start date.