Virtual TimeClock allows you to create custom groups of users called display groups. These display groups allow you to assign shift rules, security settings, user permissions, activities and much more to a whole group of workers, enabling you to manage your teams more efficiently. You can access groups settings by selecting Display Groups from the Configure program menu.
Note: Display groups are only available in Virtual TimeClock Pro and Network editions.
If this is your first time setting up a display group from start to finish, then follow the steps in this article, so you don't miss any necessary settings or overlook an important feature. If you're new to the concept of display groups review our overview of display groups in Virtual TimeClock Knowledge Base article.
Note: Only administrators of the time clock can access and edit display group settings.
Steps to Create a New Display Group
You can create an unlimited number of display groups with unique settings depending on your business needs. Follow the steps below to create a new display group from start to finish:
- Select Turn Administration On from the File Menu.
- Select Display Groups from the Configure menu.
- On the left side of this window is your current list of display groups. Time Clock Users is the default group which includes all users of the time clock. To create a new group, select Add in the bottom left corner and enter a name for the group.
Note: Any changes made to a display group only apply to the group highlighted in the left column. Changes must be made to display groups individually, so if you have multiple groups repeat the changes and save them for each display group.
- After you add a new display group and enter the name, review the default settings for the new display group starting in the Settings tab. Some settings, like requiring user passwords and enforcing missed stop, are enabled by default. Refer to our group settings and options Knowledge Base article for more information about configuring display settings at the group level in Virtual TimeClock.
- Set User permissions: Select the Users tab near the top of the Configure Display Groups window. By default all your time clock users are assigned as members of the new group. To customize the users assigned to this group, click Select at the bottom of the Group Users section. You can customize user access in the time clock in the Entry Modification section. To learn more about assigning users and permissions, review our user permissions in Virtual TimeClock Knowledge Base article.
Note: Assign users to a group so workers can clock in as part of that group. When users access the time clock they are interacting with the time clock based on the display group displayed and the settings assigned to the group.
- Set Manager permissions: Select the Managers tab. To add users as managers of the group, click Select at the bottom of the Group Managers section. You can customize access to settings in the Manage Configure Access section and enable other settings in the Entry Modifications or Administration section. To learn more about assigning managers and permissions, review our manager permissions in Virtual TimeClock Knowledge Base article.
Note: Managers assigned to a display group can only view or edit timecards for users of that display group.
- Select activities available to the display group: Select the Activities tab.The default activity is ‘In’. Any activities you have added in the Configure Activities window will also be listed. To remove any activities you do not want workers of the group to use, click Select Activities and click to uncheck the activities. If you are new to the activities feature, review our overview of activity tracking with Virtual TimeClock Knowledge Base article.
- Select out memos available when users clock out: Select the Memos tab. The default memo is 'Out', but you can create customize memos and assign them to specific groups. Review the out memos Knowledge Base article.
- Select reports available to users and managers: Select the Reports tab.The reports users and managers have access to will be listed. You can customize the access users have by clicking Select at the bottom of the User Reports or Manager Reports section. Review our group report settings Knowledge Base article for more information about assigning reports to users and managers.
- Select Apply to save all changes made to the display group.
An administrator can revisit and edit these settings at any time while in administration mode.