Incompatible TimeClock Server Error
Occasionally we hear from a Network Edition user who is receiving an "incompatible older version" error in their TimeClock Server Manager program. This error is caused by an older TimeClock Server background service running with a newer Server Manager program. Find out what is causing the issue and how to successfully update your background service.
Understanding the TimeClock Server & Server Manager
To understand why this issue happens, it's important to understand the difference between the TimeClock Server and the Server Manager.
- The TimeClock Server is a background service that serves the time clock database and connects TimeClock Clients together.
- The Server Manager is a separate program that simply allows you to monitor the TimeClock Server and related network settings.
There are several ways to get into this situation: a) upgrade to a newer version of Virtual TimeClock without properly uninstalling the prior version b) not updating the background service when prompted during installation and c) installing a newer version of Virtual TimeClock, and then downgrading to an older version without properly removing the background service.
Updating the TimeClock Server
To correct the the version mismatch, you will need to update the TimeClock Server by manually removing the older background service and reinstalling. Follow these steps:
- Open the Virtual TimeClock Server Manager program.
- Remove the background service.
- Windows: Select Remove Service from the File menu.
- Mac: Select Remove Daemon from the File menu.
- Once the service has been removed, choose Install Service or Daemon from the File menu.
If you encounter issues removing the service, you can manually end the Virtual TimeClock service by following the steps for your operating system below:
- Open the Task Manager and select the Processes tab.
- Select the Virtual TimeClock service under Background Processes.
- Choose End Task and close the window.
- Open the Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder in Applications.
- Select All Processes from the View menu.
- In the CPU tab, select the Virtual TimeClock process.
- Use the Force Quit icon to end the process.